Purple Dresses and Blue Berries
Yesterday’s bridesmaids dress shopping excursion was very successful! We found a lovely dress in all the sizes needed at JCPenney. And, lucky us, it was on sale! After a sale discount and a discount given at the register, the dresses were only $45. You can’t beat that for a bridesmaids dress!
Looking for bridal party attire in stores other than those that cater to brides can really work out in the end! You can find dresses that are just as nice as those you might find in a specialized boutique and for a fraction of the price.
Friday evening I decided to do some baking despite the heat. I pulled out the blueberries that we had picked up at the farmers market last weekend and made Blueberry Buckle using this recipe at Allrecipes.com as starting point. I had to alter the recipe a bit because the husband is allergic to milk. I used water instead of milk in this case but would have used rice or soy milk if we had any in the house. The buckle still turned out nicely! I also added ground flax seed and altered the topping a bit to suit my tastes.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (or water or soy/rice/almond milk)
- 3 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Combine the flour, flax seed, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberry mixture. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
My topping wasn’t crumbly because the butter softened quickly due to the heat, so I simple spread it over the top of the cake batter. Still yummy! The Blueberry Buckle turned out delicious and moist! Next time I might add a bit of lemon to the cake base and also more blueberries!
Plans for this afternoon include working on a baby quilt for my best friend. She is having her first baby this October! I am so excited and happy for her! I am going to visit her this coming weekend, July 30 through Aug.2. I am looking forward to seeing her with her baby belly so much! When she told me she was pregnant, I knew I had to visit and see her before the baby was born. We live 12 hours apart, so we don’t get to see each other very often at all anymore unfortunately. Since I leave for her house in four days, I need to get this quilt finished! I had better get quilting!
Have a wonderful Sunday!